Donald Trump Jr. tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week, making him the second of President Donald Trump’s children to contract the virus.
“Don tested positive at the start of the week and has been quarantining out at his cabin since the result,” a spokesperson for Trump Jr. said, according to Bloomberg. “He’s been completely asymptomatic so far and is following all medically recommended COVID-19 guidelines.”
Trump Jr.—the president’s oldest son—came down with the virus weeks after the president’s youngest son, Barron. The president himself and the first lady suffered a bout in early October, with Trump spending several days at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Three days later, Trump was released from Walter Reed and returned to the White House after receiving doses of what his doctor described as “Regeneron’s polyclonal, antibody cocktail,” as well as Remdesivir, zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin, and a daily aspirin.
Senior White House reporter Jennifer Jacobs tweeted: “News: Don Jr, the president’s son, has tested positive for coronavirus. He escaped the virus when people around him got infected, including his girlfriend Kimberly, but now has it, per multiple sources.”
She followed up with a second tweet as well: “
Earlier this week @DonaldJTrumpJr tested positive for coronavirus and has been quarantining at a private location, I’m told. He’s following all medically recommended COVID-19 guidelines, a spokesperson says.”
Trump Jr. is the latest within the president’s inner circle to test positive for COVID-19, which spread among the White House after his diagnosis last month. Others who have reportedly caught the virus in recent weeks include White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson, campaign adviser Corey Lewandowski, as well as dozens of White House aides, including Trump campaign worker Nick Trainer, and Andrew Giuliani—Rudy Giuliani’s son.
Several of Vice President Mike Pence’s aides have tested positive as well, according to his press secretary and chief of staff.
Since last week, new cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. have been exceeding 150,000 per day.
Even members of the Secret Service have reportedly been struck down with the disease, and many have been forced to self-isolate and quarantine.
As The Daily Wire reported:
A Washington Post article published on Friday reports that more than 130 Secret Service officers tasked with safeguarding President Donald J. Trump and the White House have recently been ordered to self-isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19 concerns.
Citing several anonymous sources, the story said a “large number of officers” have contracted the virus but did not indicate how many have fallen ill. About ten percent of “the agency’s core security team” has been out of action, the report said, pointing out that some White House staffers are reluctant to go to work because of a recent cluster that has infected several people in the president’s circle.
The Post writes, the contagion “is believed to be partly linked to a series of campaign rallies that President Trump held in the weeks before the Nov. 3 election, according to the people, who, like others interviewed for this report, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the situation.”
An unidentified former senior Secret Service supervisor told the outlet, “Being down more than 100 officers is very problematic,” adding, “That does not bode well for White House security.”